Which IRS Form 990 do I file?
125 views | Last modified 4/12/2024 2:08:19 AM EST |

The gross receipt of the organization determines the kind of Form 990 they must file unless it is a Private Foundation.  

  • File Form 990-N if your organization's gross receipts are $50,000 or less. However, you may voluntarily file Form 990-EZ or 990 instead. 
  • File Form 990-EZ if your organization's gross receipts are less than $200,000 and total assets under $500,000. These organizations may also voluntarily file Form 990
  • File Form 990 if your organization's gross receipts are more than $200,000 or when the total assets are over $500,000.  

Private Foundations should file the annual tax return Form 990-PF regardless of their financial status. 
Any exempt organization that has earned a gross income of $1,000 or more from an unrelated business must file Form 990-T along with a 990 series form. 
All these forms mentioned above are due by the 15th day of the 5th month after the tax period ends. However, if an organization misses this deadline, they can request an automatic extension of 6-months by filing Form 8868. This extension of time can be sought for all forms in the 990 series, except Form 990-N.

Was this helpful? Yes No

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(704) 839-2321 [email protected]