My organization changed its legal name. Is there any additional reporting to be done with Form 990-N?
3.1k views | Last modified 9/4/2023 6:39:29 AM EST |

Applicable To
990-PF 990-N 990-EZ 990 8868 1120-POL

Generally, an organization that changed its legal name must report the change on its next annual information return.
Since Form 990-N is filed electronically, the organization's legal name change must be reported either through letter or fax (not by phone) to Customer Account Services. The documentation required to report a name change will vary depending on the type of organization.
The letter or fax reporting the change in your organization's legal name must contain the following information.

  1. Full name of the organization (Both the prior name and the changed name)
  2. Employer Identification Number (EIN)
  3. Authorized Signature

Note- In case of using the letter form for reporting about the change, the individual must mention their position while signing on behalf of the organization as the Authorized Signature (For example, "Patrick Ross, President")

Was this helpful? Yes No

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(704) 839-2321 [email protected]