Can a small organization file a previous year's Form 990-N return?
5.3k views | Last modified 1/6/2023 4:31:28 AM EST |

Applicable To
990-PF 990-N 990-EZ 990 8868 1120-POL

Filing the e-Postcard (Form 990-N) is an annual requirement, and filing for a previous year cannot be done through the IRS filing system, but Tax990 allows you to file your IRS Form 990-N for prior years (up to 2 previous years). 

Here is how you can file your prior year Form 990-N using

Enter your Organization’s EIN and click “E-FILE NOW”. If the organization you are searching for isn’t found on our database, you can e-file your e-Postcard by creating an account at Then follow the below steps.

Step 1:

Enter your organization's EIN and click “E-File Now.”


Step 2:

Choose the available tax year from your filing history and review the filing information and make changes as needed. 


Step 3:

Enter the payment information and pay and transmit Your Form 990-N to the IRS.


For organizations filing 990-N for the first time:

Here is how you can file your form 990-N using Tax990:

  • Create a New Account with Tax990. If you already have one, log in to that account.
  • Click on the "Start New Return" button on the dashboard and select “Form 990-N”.

  • Search for your 'EIN' or enter your organization's basic details, such as name, address, and principal officer's details. Then, click "Next”.

  • If there are any errors in your form, our Internal audit check will indicate that. You can fix them and click 'Next'

  • You can choose to receive notifications via 'Text' or 'Fax' and then click 'Next'.


  • Review your 990-N summary and make changes if required. Also, provide an acknowledgment of your organization’s eligibility to file Form 990-N.

    Once done, you can complete your payment and transmit your Form 990-N to the IRS.

Was this helpful? Yes No

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(704) 839-2321 [email protected]