If I have a balance due on my Form 990 series, can I extend the time to pay the due by filing 8868?
248 views | Last modified 12/26/2023 3:29:31 AM EST |

No, Form 8868 does not extend the time for paying taxes. You need to pay the total balance due by the original due date of the return to avoid interest and penalties. 

You will be charged the late payment penalty on the unpaid tax from the regular due date of your return. If you cannot pay the balance due amount you owe to the IRS, you can still get the extension. But make sure to pay to avoid the amount of interest.

Reasonable cause determinations. 

If you receive a notice about penalties after you file your return, send an explanation and we will determine if you meet reasonable cause criteria. Do not attach an explanation when you file your return. Explanations attached to the return at the time of filing will not be considered.


Was this helpful? Yes No

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(704) 839-2321 [email protected]