My organization wants to change its accounting method. Is any additional filing required?
2.0k views | Last modified 6/23/2023 2:15:54 AM EST

Applicable To
990-PF 990-N 990-EZ 990 8868 1120-POL

If your nonprofit organization wants to change its accounting method, you must file the current version of Form 3115, Application for Change in Accounting Method, as it requires IRS approval. 

Form 3115 must be filed as quickly as possible during the year of change to allow the IRS sufficient time to respond before the due date of the filer's tax return for the year of change. 

If your organization is under Section 501(c), which complies with the FASB codification 958 (ASC 958), then the organization is not required to file Form 3115 to change the accounting method.

You can reach out to the IRS in advance and request permission to change your organization's accounting method. However, failure to make the request can result in penalties imposed by the IRS. 

Note - You must file the organization's first income tax return before requesting a change in the accounting method.

Was this helpful? Yes No

Couldn't find what you
are looking for?

Contact Us

(704) 839-2321 [email protected]