[E-file Error Code F990-912-01] How do I resolve it?
4.4k views |
Last modified 12/24/2022 2:30:36 AM EST |
IRS Error Code [F990-912-01]:
The tax-exempt status section specified in the return doesn't match with the IRS E-file database.
What does it mean:
The section under which the organization obtained the tax-exempt status didn't match the actual section with which it was established with the IRS. Generally, a tax-exempt organization is usually granted an exemption under any of these sections- 501(c), 501(c)(3), 4947(a)(1) & 527. For instance, if your organization is exempted under section 4947(a)(1), then section 4947(a)(1) has to be chosen when filing the return. Instead, if any other section is chosen, the IRS will reject the return.
You need to correct the tax-exempt status and re-transmit your return at no additional cost.
Here's how you correct the type of organization:
- Log in to your Tax 990 account.
- Identify the rejected return either from the Dashboard or Forms History.
- To identify it from the Dashboard, keep a note of the Return ID of the rejected return that you find in the rejection email.
- To identify it from the Forms History page, click the Tax Returns on the menu, and you'll land in the Forms History page, where you'll find the rejected return listed.
- In both options, you need to click on the Rejected by the IRS button found against the rejected return to find the list of errors. Then, click the Fix Me button against the error code F990-912-01.
- Based on the filing type you have chosen, you will be navigated to the corresponding page.
- Interview-based filing - You'll be directed to the Type of Organization page. Choose the correct organization type under which your organization has been established with the IRS.
- Form-based filing - You'll be directed to Section J, Tax-exempt status of your Form 990-EZ. Here, choose the correct organization type under which your organization has been established with the IRS.
- Review the details, and click the Transmit button to re-transmit your return to the IRS at no additional cost.
We'll keep you informed on the status of the return once we hear back from the IRS.
For any further assistance, we recommend contacting the IRS e-Help Desk Toll-Free Number 1-866-255-0654.