How do I resolve Form 990-N [E-file error code F990N-901-01]?
10.3k views |
Last modified 1/9/2023 12:51:22 AM EST |
IRS Error Code [F990N-901-01]:
If Form 990-N, checkbox "Termination" is not checked, then the Tax Period End Date in the Return Header must match data in the e-file database.
The IRS has rejected your return since the tax period end date in the return filed doesn't match the IRS e-file database.
What does it mean:
It means that the tax period end date which you have mentioned in return is incorrect.
- Calendar Year- If your organization follows a calendar tax year, the tax period end date in the return should be December 31.
- Fiscal Tax Year- If your organization follows a fiscal tax period, let's say from April through March, in that case, the tax period end date would be March 31. If the return has an end date other than March 31, the IRS will reject it.
You need to check the tax period's start date and end date. Refer to this list of documents to confirm your organization's tax period.
Here's how you can correct the tax period on your return filed with Tax 990:
- Log in to your Tax 990 account.
- Identify the rejected return either from the Dashboard or Forms History.
To identify it from the Dashboard, keep a note of the rejected return's Return ID that you find in the rejection email.
To identify it from the Forms History page, click the Tax Returns on the menu, and you'll land on the Forms History page, where you'll find the rejected return listed.
- In both options, you need to click on the Rejected by the IRS button found against the rejected return to find the list of errors. Then, click the Fix Me button against the error code F990N-901-01.
- You'll land on the Tax Year page. Here you can correct the Tax Year End Date.
- Review the details, and click the Transmit button to re-transmit your return to the IRS at no additional cost.
Note: We'll keep you informed on the return status once we hear back from the IRS.
For any further assistance or clarifications, such as IRS rejections for the tax period end date despite the correct tax period from your end, we recommend contacting the IRS e-Help Desk Toll-Free Number 1-866-255-0654.
With Tax 990, re-transmitting your rejected returns is not just free but also hassle-free.